söndag 30 december 2012

Photographic Summary 2012 / Tilbakeblikk på foto-året 2012

First of all, I wish all of you the very best for 2013 and I wish to thank you all for the many nice and helpful comments and suggestions regaring my photography during 2012 for which I am very grateful. Thank you!


Humpback Whale - Feeding Frenzy

In the past, I have always pointed my camera towards almost anything in nature, but during the last two years, when I have started to realise that my photography is about to turn from a hobby into a job, I have found myself concentrating mainly on the two topics that fascinate me the most: 1) Marine Ecology and 2) Aurora Photography and Astronomy.

Firstly - Humpback Whales, my job as a marine biologist has got much closer to my photography, mainly through my work to establish a Photo-Identification Catalogue on Humpback Whales in Norway and the camera is now an important tool in my work. I wish to thank all of you that have contributed to the research-catalogue by sending in your fluke-photos of humpbacks to the data-base at norwayhumpbacks@gmail.com

The data-collection has already yielded some very interesting re-sightings of humpbacks and I will continue this work in 2013 together with research institutes around the world. Below is a short video showing some of the field-work in 2012:



Data-collection for the North Norwegian Humpback Whale Catalogue


Secondly, my photography (being mainly focused on Auroras and night-time photography), has turned from a hobby into what might turn out to be a job, or at least more than a hobby. During the autumn, I found myself realising a project that I have had in my mind for a long time and teamed up with the solar phycisist Pål Brekke and wrote a popular science book on northern lights. During the long hours of writing I found myself digging more deeply into the physics behind this and many other astronomical phenomena and my old astronomy-interest has taken a new turn.

The book "Northern Lights - A Guide" will be released on 23 January 2013 at a media press-release in Oslo on 23-24 January.




Link to English version: Northern Lights - A Guide

Link til norsk versjon: Nordlyset - En Guide

The old astronomy-interest has also led me to accept to give the opening talk of the 75-year Anniversary Conference of the Norwegian Astronomical Society (NAS) in Tromsø 1-3 March 2013, for which I am honoured. In this talk, I will try to share my experience as an aurora photographer and come with tips for anyone wanting to photograph this phenomenon and explain more about what actually causes the auroras and how it is possible to predict when and where strong northern lights are most likely to occur.



2013 is likely to be one of the better years for aurora-watchers in a long time

All in all, it looks like 2013 will be a year full of interesting astronomy events for night-time photographers, and one of my other greatest fascinations, comets, seem likely to put up a spectacualar show during 2013, but more about that later.

2013 is also predicted to be a year full of spectacular northern lights due to the peak in solar activity!

11 kommentarer:

  1. Godt nytt fotoår til deg også, det er mye å se fram til i 2013, gleder meg til å følge bloggen din videre. Morsomt med bok og foredrag, gratulerer!

    SvaraRadera
  2. Først og fremst, lykke til med bokslippet. Eller har det vært flott å følge bloggen din gjennom året.

    Godt Nyttår!

    SvaraRadera
  3. Gratulerer med boken da! Det har vært et godt fotoår for deg ser jeg. Lykke til med dine nye prosjekter i 2013.
    Det har vært hyggelig og følge bloggen din dette året.
    Godt Nytt År til deg.
    Fra Hilda

    SvaraRadera
  4. Det var roligt att se dina timelapse av Norrsken i dokumentären som visades på SVT häromveckan, den handlade om Solstormar. Jag kände igen dina bilder på den stora röda byggnaden. :)

    SvaraRadera
  5. Lykke til med bok og foredrag. Inspirerende å følge bloggen med mange flotte bilder av nordlyset. Det blir spennende å se hva 2013 vil bringe.
    Godt nytt år til deg og dine!
    John

    SvaraRadera
  6. Det har vært veldig kjekt å følge bloggen din og jeg vil definitivt følge med neste år også, lykke til med bokprosjektet og et riktig godt nyttår.

    mvh Kolbjørn

    SvaraRadera
  7. Hey Fredrik. I would love a copy of the new book when it's available. Great job! All best wishes and Happy New Year! Rob

    SvaraRadera
  8. This looks like a great book. I hope I can get a copy! I love your photos. I discovered your work on spaceweather.com Keep up the good work! My favorites are of people and the aurora, I assume it is you in the photos!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. Being out in the middle of the night in the cold I often have to use myself as a "model", yes...

      All the best, Fredrik

      Radera
  9. Your talk in Tromso sounds really interesting. Shame we're not visiting that part of Norway. Good luck with it. We're off to see the Northern Lights ourselves in Finland and Norway in 6 weeks time. We're hoping to take some great photos and are researching how to do this right now so your book will help very much. We're so excited at the prospect of seeing the lights for the first time in our lives.
    We're doing a blog ourselves along the way so people can join us on our journey www.astrocal.co.uk/blog

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank you, and good luck with seeing the northern lights on your trip! Feb/March usually has a bit more stable and clear weather, so I'm crossing my fingers you will see the auroras. Thanks also for the nice link to your blog, the book is now available online in the U.K: http://www.ypdbooks.com/the-natural-world/812-northern-lights-a-guide-YPD00750.html

      All the best, Fredrik

      Radera